Monday, August 31, 2009

Alms for the Poor(Blogger)

You know those "schnurring"[translation-begging] letters you get this time of year from orthodox Jewish orphanages, pleading with you to send money? The guilt I feel from looking at the black and white photos of pathetic children while tossing the solicitation in the garbage is almost overwhelming. But who ever heard of Jewish orphanages? Fertility clinics, yes. Orphanages, you must be kidding.
But today I felt empathy for the orphanages, or whoever it is that sends out those letters. Because I sent out a "schnurring" letter. Not for financial support, but for moral support. I asked you to sign up to follow my blog and eight of you found it in your hearts to do it. To those of you who supported me in my time of need, thank you. To the rest, fi on you. Just kidding. I know you'll come around. (And Amy G and Marian, you win the prize-virtual of course-for sending me the first comments. )
Writing this blog has given me a new appreciation for N.Y. Times writers. I marvel that they can write an article of publishable quality daily. But of course they have an advantage. They're writing about something--banana blight in Africa, new erectile disfunction drugs. I'm writing about nothing and, trust me, it's so much harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment