Thursday, July 19, 2018

Moe Moe's Play Date

The advice of the cat therapist seemed ridiculous to me--at least in so far as advising play dates with dogs--but I reasoned that, having shelled out $365, I might as well try it. So yesterday, I met my neighbor, Judy, in the elevator. Judy has a very cute hound dog, Leland. I explained to Judy(with whom I had heretofore never had a longer conversation than, "hello, how are you?)", that my cat attacks me and that the cat therapist suggested play dates with dogs. Judy did not burst out laughing as I would have had someone said that to me prior to this week, but agreed to bring Leland up for a play date. I explained that Leland would have to stay on his leash and Judy, if not Leland, was fine with that. I emailed the cat therapist immediately prior to the interspecies date, and she gave me some additional advice: Play the sound download for Moe Moe before, after and during the date. Give Moe Moe a special treat before the date. Give all my attention to Moe Moe. Judy should give all her attention to Leland. If I pet Leland, tell Moe Moe it's because he's asked me to pet Leland. I gave Moe Moe Friskies. I played the seagulls/ new age massage music. Judy and Leland arrived promptly. Moe Moe did not greet them at the door. I believe he was otherwise engaged in the bathroom. I explained the music that was playing and what the protocol for the visit was. I have no doubt that Judy thought both I and the therapist are insane. But she gamely went with the program. She sat on the couch and Leland was in front of her on the floor(where a dog would ordinarily be. ) I called to Moe Moe who emerged from the bathroom. On the floor, at the other end of the living room, in a slightly tense position, he stared at Leland. Leland took no notice of him, but appeared to eye the cat food on the floor of the kitchen. Moe Moe relaxed entirely and continued staring at Leland. After 10 minutes, Leland noticed Moe Moe and let out several sounds between a howl and a bark. Moe Moe stayed totally relaxed, not even moving when Leland barked. I told Leland that Moe Moe said He was a very good dog. Leland did not seem to care. Judy and Leland left after about 25 minutes. Moe Moe and I continued to listen to the seagulls/music. He's still relaxed and I'm relieved that no blood was drawn and no pawdicuffs were thrown during the date. I was a skeptic, but I think there may be something to the sound download.

No comments:

Post a Comment