Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dear Mr. Lambert

June 8, 2010

Edward S. Lambert
CEO and President
Sears Holdings Corp.
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, Illinois

Dear Mr. Lambert,
This is not a complaint letter. I have nothing to complain about. I have wonderful friends, am comfortable financially and my health is good, thank G-d, except for an annoying twinge in my left wrist and occasional heartburn after kung pao chicken. I understand you're a very important man what with your single handedly running not only Sears and K-Mart but also Lands'End(from which, I want you to know, I purchased the most fabulous suck-it-all-in eggplant bathing suit which I wore to death in Cancun), but rest assured, this letter will occupy only a few minutes of your valuable time.
Ed(I hope you don't mind my calling you that, but I feel close to you),you must be the smartest CEO on earth, or at least in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. You appreciate that anyone can employ the best and the brightest to manage a company, but what do they get? A well run company that serves its customers and shareholders. You, Ed, care about more than the bottom line. You're a people person. You hire the mentally challenged,pay them a fair wage and send them out to to deal with Sears' customers. You change their lives. You're a veritable Mother Teresa.
You've changed my life too, Ed. For 15 years, every morning I arose, took my high blood pressure pill and walked for 20 minutes on my Sears Pro-form treadmill . My relationship with the treadmill was the most stable in my life. Like most relationships, it wasn't perfect. The treadmill was deafening, but I didn't complain. I simply learned to read Ann Curry's lips. The treadmill occasionally zoomed from 3.9 mph to 4.8 mph, propelling my head toward the console. I adjusted and wore a helmet. But one day, it stopped running altogether and I was forced to invoke the Sears warranty for which I'd paid $150 per year for 15 years- a total of $2250.
The repairman had me sit down while he gave me the bad news. The motor was kaput and irreplaceable. But, he said,comforting me with his hand on my shoulder, since it was under warranty, Sears would give me a brand new treadmill-free.
I was thrilled. I had wondered for years what Matt Lauer sounded like and now I'd know. I could shed the helmet. I'd be getting a new $900 treadmill, free. Within weeks I received a call from Lourdice, your employee in South Carolina. Like a fairy godmother, she told me to pick out the treadmill I wanted and she'd arrange the delivery. "But Lourdice, what about the pick up of the 15 year old treadmill? I don't have room for two treadmills." Lourdice assured me she'd take care of it.
On April 22, Atlantic Freight delivered my new Sole Fitness treadmill and left it in a box in the middle of my living room floor. The box was the size of my father's 1960 Chevy Impala. Michael, of American Direct, arrived to install it.He removed it from the box, moved my old Pro-form into the living room and moved my new Sole Fitness into the Pro-form's spot in the bedroom. The new Sole Fitness weighed 350 pounds, its footprint was 7 feet and its console, 5'3" high, bore a striking resemblance to the console that Scotty used to beam up the crew of the Enterprise. I couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately, Michael could not get it to start. Michael disposed of the box and left. I called Lourdice. Lourdice said,"Don't worry. Sears will send it back to the manufacturer and we'll send you a brand new one." As of April 22, thanks to Sears, I had two treadmills.
Ed, you really are terrific. You must pay your employees alot more than I get paid. You see, I live in a NYC apartment. It isn't easy to fit one treadmill into a NYC apartment,let alone two. (It isn't easy to fit an extra hanger into a NYC apartment.) Lourdice must live in a very spacious house, because she was flummoxed by my repeated requests to have the two dead treadmills removed before a third was delivered. But, ever accommodating, she arranged to have Atlantic Freight pick up the defective Sole.
Atlantic Freight called me. Yippee, they were going to pick up the Sole Fitness and return it to the manufacturer. But it would have to be boxed, at the door, ready to go.
Boxed? I took a valium and left a message for Lourdice explaining the situation. Lourdice left me the following message: I don't understand why you don't have a box. Everyone knows when you return an item, it has to be in the box."
Until that moment, I was unaware of your generous hiring practices. But now it was clear that Lourdice either thought a treadmill was the size of a fruitcake or would return a rental car in a box.
I took an ativan and called her back. "Lourdice," I explained,"your installer disposed of the box. I HAVE NO BOX. And even if I had a box, there's no way in hell I could get a 350 pound machine into it. I'm 70 years old and I weigh 100 pounds." Okay, Ed, I admit I overstated my age and understated my weight, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
After deliberation, Lourdice called me back. "I'll take care of it,"she said.
The following day, Atlantic Freight called to arrange an appointment to deliver my new treadmill. No talk of pick up. "Sure, come tomorrow," I said. "What's one more treadmill?"
Ed, thanks to the generosity of Sears, I now have a trio of treadmills in my apartment. The new Sole, in pristine condition in its box, sits in the place that formerly housed my couch. I sit on it to watch "The Good Wife." The couch is in storage. The 15 year old Pro-form is propped up next to my dining room table requiring me to eat standing up. And the defective Sole is a 350 pound high tech sculpture in my bedroom. Like every body else's fitness equipment, it serves as a clothing hanger.
My morning activities have changed. I arise, take two blood pressure pills, one valium, one ativan and a prozac and spend 20 minutes talking to Lourdice,who is now the most stable relationship in my life. Like my relationship with the treadmill, it's not perfect. I ask her daily to remove two treadmills and install the third. She tells me daily that she's working on it. My guess is she hears me as clearly as I heard Ann Curry.
So, Ed, I can think of no better way of thanking you for how you changed my life than by paraphrasing our ex-president. ATTABOY, ED. Keep up the good work.

Very truly yours,


Carol R. Abramson

No comments:

Post a Comment